As an enthusiastic ontologist interested in ontology evaluation I have developed OOPS! (OntOlogy Pitfall Scanner!) that has been broadly accepted by a high number of users worldwide being used from around 60 different countries, integrated with third-party software and used in private enterprises. I am also interested in supporting ontological engineering activities in collaborative and distributed environments, for what I co-lead the development of OnToology, a Git-based system for ontology management. Regarding ontology standardization activities, I am involved in the development of the Web of Things vocabulary (W3C) and the SAREF ontology (European Telecommunication Standard Institute). Finally, another of my interests is ontology reuse, for what I collaborate with the Linked Open Vocabularies initiative and also reuse it for ongoing research purposes.
- February 2016: PhD on Artificial Intelligence (Cum laude) – Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Spain
- September 2010: Master in Artificial Intelligence – Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Spain
- April 2009: Engineer in Computer Science – Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Spain
- (April 2019 – Present) Assistant Professor – Artificial Intelligence Department – Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (UPM)
- (March 2016 – Present) Post Doc Researcher at Ontology Engineering Group – Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (UPM)
- (October 2007 – February 2016) Pre Doctoral Researcher at Ontology Engineering Group – (UPM)
Some of the ontologies I have contributed to are (see latest developments at my GitHub profile):
- Web of Things and the VICINITY network (IoT domain)
- SAREF extensions for Buildings, Environment, SmartCity, Agriculture (IoT domain)
- EasyTV ontology: extending linguistic models for sign language video annotation
- Fair Reviews ontology (scientific reviews)
- Video Game ontology
- Loupe model (describing the statistics about the triples, vocabularies used, and common patterns observed in an RDF dataset)
Here there are some of the most relevant publications I (co-)authored (see more at my google scholar profile):
- M. Poveda-Villalón, A. Gómez-Pérez, M.C. Suárez-Figueroa. “OOPS! (OntOlogy Pitfall Scanner!): An On-line Tool for Ontology Evaluation”. International Journal on Semantic Web and Information Systems (IJSWIS). IGI Publishing. 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4018/ijswis.2014040102
- G. Aguado-de-Cea, E. Montiel-Ponsoda, M. Poveda-Villalón, O.X. Giraldo-Pasmin. “Lexicalizing Ontologies: The Issues Behind The Labels”. 10th International Conference on Terminology and Artificial Intelligence (AESLA 2015). Madrid, Spain. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.11.313
- M.C. Suárez-Figueroa, M. Kamel, M. Poveda-Villalón. “Benefits of Natural Language Techniques in Ontology Evaluation: the OOPS! Case”.10th International Conference on Terminology and Artificial Intelligence. ISBN: 978-2-9174-9025-9. Paris, France. 2013
- Pierre-Yves Vandenbussche, Ghislain A. Atemezing, María Poveda-Villalón, Bernard Vatant. “Linked Open Vocabularies (LOV): a gateway to reusable semantic vocabularies on the Web”. Semantic Web Journal. ELSEVIER. 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3233/SW-160213
- Janne Parkkila, Filip Radulovic, Daniel Garijo, María Poveda-Villalón, Jouni Ikonen, Jari Porras, Asunción Gómez-Pérez. “An ontology for videogame interoperability”. Multimedia Tools and Applications. Springer US. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11042-016-3552-6
- As editor: Mauro Dragoni, María Poveda-Villalón, Ernesto Jimenez-Ruiz. “OWL: Experiences and Directions – Reasoner Evaluation (13th International Workshop, OWLED 2016, and 5th International Workshop, ORE 2016, Bologna, Italy, November 20, 2016, Revised Selected Papers)”. Springer International Publishing Switzerland. 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-54627-8
- Irstea (Institut national de recherche en sciences et technologies pour l’environnement et l’agriculture), Clermont-Ferrand, France . (25th February 2019 – 30th March 2019)
- Irstea (Institut national de recherche en sciences et technologies pour l’environnement et l’agriculture), Clermont-Ferrand, France . (11th March 2018 – 12th April 2018)
- University of Liverpool. Liverpool, United Kingdom. (23rd March 2011 – 04th June 2011)
- Free University of Berlin. Berlin. Germany (12th March 2012 – 1st June 2012)
- Mondeca. Paris. France (1st March 2013 – 30th June 2013)
- Semantic Web journal “Semantic Web Outstanding Paper Award 2017” for the paper “Linked Open Vocabularies (LOV): a gateway to reusable semantic vocabularies on the Web”.
- Diploma to one of the three best technologies presented during the “III Curso de Comercialización de Tecnologías UPM” in November 201
- ACTUAUPM 2015 Award to one of the 10 best business ideas of UPM. March 2015.
- IAOA prize of OntologySummit2013 hackathon for the project Clinics Ontohub OOR OOPS Integration. 2013.